Re: XyWrite and voice recognition

In a message dated 1/4/99 03:38:12 AM Eastern Standard Time, rrr@xxxxxxxx
writes:

> Does 90% mean one correction every 10 characters? words? sentences?
> Seems to me there is a lot of room for clintonoid word-parsing in
> such statements.

I think it means 250 wrong words in 2500. But you're editing on the fly; it's
not like OCR, where you may have to search for a wrong word because a mis-
recognized letter creates a valid word not caught by a spell checker.

BTW: In the Jan. 19 PC Magazine, page 80 re Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred
3.0 --
"Dragon's focus on accuracy above all else is the catalyst to its success.
Some respondents did complain that poor accuracy made the softwware unusable
or that an open office environment was not conducive to 'talking to your
computer.' Others indicated the exhorbitant resource requirements of speech
recognition products as a major stumbling block to widespread usefulness. For
many users, the key is having patience and appropriate expectations."

In a sidebar, one user notes how demanding the hardware requirements are, but
says that if they are met, and you talk more like a news anchor than Marlon
Brando, accuracy can approach 98%. Also, "My own accuracy drops off quickly
once I try to dictate at over 100 words per minute, but so does my ability to
form coherent sentences."

More in the article, which is probably at the PC Mag. Web site
www.secondlooks.com by now.

Tim Baehr