Re: Re alternate screen fonts (Cyrillic) for XY

Daniel Say wrote:

> ... the new XY5 called Smart-Words ...

Not being privy to the "discussion off-list, (where much the best
discussion ... takes place)"--in a sort of hidden list, I wonder, or
between two parties only--I would appreciate it if you could divulge a bit
more about this. Has the name been decided? Has the program been released?
If this was announced in public, I must have entirely missed it.

But as for the problem at hand (rather than pies in the sky):

> In my search for a nicer DOS font ...
> One program I found for tired eyes was FontEdit II which
> replaces your on-screen font with one you can edit and modify.
> They include many examples with the program and the fonts can be made
> into a *.COM file for calling up as single programs.

A commercial program that accomplishes a similar thing was called
UltraVision, produced by Persoft Corporation. I think the company has gone
under, and the program may or may not be available somewhere cheap or even
free. For me (along with Magellan and--in a way--XyWrite for DOS) it's one
of those orphaned programs that continue to be eminently useful in my
day-to-day computing chores. UltraVision (given the right combination of
monitor and video card) actually enhances screen resolution for DOS
without switching to graphics mode, giving you a text character box of I
forget how many by how many pixels, but more than regular VGA anyway. It
offers a wide choice of screen fonts, ranging from superbold, large
characters to very thin script. It takes some more memory than the 4K of
FontEdit (around 16K or so) but it can be loaded high. You can switch
fonts on the fly while remaining in XyWrite. I have been using it
constantly for many years now and wouldn't consider running DOS without
it. It works perfectly under Win95 (full-screen), as I imagine it would
under OS/2 (or Linux?).

Wolfgang Bechstein
wolfie@xxxxxxxx