Re: Concerning XYWEB113.ZIP

** Reply to message from "M.W. Poirier"  on Thu, 15
Aug 2002 19:48:44 -0400 (EDT)

>  I'm wondering, would it be
>  possible to add a short discription _focussing on the main new
>  and/or changed features_ when a new Jumbo file is issued? It
>  would be nice to know how the latest version differs in a signi-
>  ficant way from the previous version. I say "significant" be-
>  cause I'm aware that some changes may be cosmetic only, and if
>  that were the case, then perhaps a notation to that effect would
>  suffice.

I sympathize. We *should* do that. We should methodically update the XyWWWeb
HTML page too (we often don't), and also the Help (INF) file. That we don't, or
do so unevenly, is just a reflection of our frenzied work requirements.
Documentation takes a lot of time and thought, and we do this for fun, not
profit, in spare time, after "real" work, family, food, relaxation. But let me
say a couple of things:

First, no new version is released simply to make cosmetic changes. We're not
marketing anything. New releases come out because our internal sensors say that
we've accumulated a critical mass of fixes, performance improvements, and/or new
programs. Second, we're continually tweaking, refining, adding and subtracting,
amongst ourselves. Occasionally something new we've introduced -- or something
which is potentially mission-critical -- doesn't work right, so there's a sense
of obligation to correct it lest users get the impression that a program of
potential benefit "doesn't work" (it's easy to give up quickly, and never try
again, if programs don't work on the first essay). Occasionally, too, something
is just "too good" not to pass along.

Third, what is significant (or interesting) to one of us may be nothing to you.
For example, in v113 I amended my File Manager utility (CA2, DIR2, SA2, ME2,
AB2, etc) so that it works in Windows as well as OS/2, and so that it works with
network shares (whether or not they have been assigned to a drive on local
machines). This means: "real" long filenames (as well as the 8.3 truncata~1),
and integration with Peer-to-Peer networking (aka "File and Print", LANs). I
can now edit, in XyWrite, any file anywhere on the Internet. To me, that's
significant; I'm always part of a private LAN, and always up on the big WAN with
a thick (DSL, or wireless across 31 km of ocean) connection, so I use Xy File
Manager a lot. With appropriate permissions, I could, for example, directly
edit files on your computer -- just by CA2lling them, then SA2ving them. But
all that shows up in v113, by way of user alert, is a couple of additional
examples in the INF Help frame, demonstrating use of network shares.

In v114, we hope to introduce the U2 Registry, which will rob your question of
most of its force. This is a real breakthrough, which we've been refining since
February. With a Registry, you will no longer edit U2 directly (unless you want
to); all your personal variables will be stored in a plain-text Registry (write
once, read forever), and you can just transparently toggle new versions of U2
into place (replace the old file, and you're done).

Eventually, though, programs do get documented. For the most part.

P.S. I just saw Carl's assertion that "We'll try to highlight notable changes
and additions." My problem with that is, there are so many performance
improvements I can't keep track of them -- and have no interest in keeping track
of them. A new version might come out with performance inprovements only, but
nothing worth documenting. It's always worthwhile to pick up the latest version.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx