Re: Backup--OT

Harry, I am totally with you in the idea that the only Windows backup
worth having is a complete bootable one. However, I do it differently:
automated and in software. I use ShadowProtect. This creates a bootable
image file (I split it into 640MB segments) that is incrementable and
automatable (I do a full backup every week; an incremental every 3
hours).

So how do you get a bootable drive out of this? In case of disaster, you boot up with a ShadowProtect CD (or simply invoke ShadowProtect on another computer) and restore your image to your target hard drive.

The result will be a perfect duplicate.

I have done this several times with complete success. ShadowProtect is the only such system that has ever worked for me. (Acronis is not a patch on it.) I have complete confidence in it.

Are there any gotchas? I would say that you have to watch the numerous hidden partitions (more and more!) that modern computers are beginning toi have. (For example there are seven partitions on my plain vanilla Dell XPS 15 late 2013. Why so many? Heaven knows.) Once or twice, I have lost one of these partitions, but it has not affected me in any visible way.

SSDs are great but they can benefit from maintenance and they do in the end fail.

Why not use both? Continue to use the hardware solution but only once every couple of months? Meanwhile use the software solution regularly. You will then have the convenience of up-to-the-minute backups (as long as the backup drive is connected of course).

These images are complete total, total, total duplicates of your hard drive state. There is no need to worry about losing any value whatever.

NB: This is just one user's experience over the past few years.