Re: XyWrite/NB with BartPE

http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/BartPEGuide/BartPEGuide.htm.
> I did
> not, repeat did not, have to use the I386 method. I
> borrowed a clean
> unencumbered XP Pro SP2 install disk instead, then
> skipped to the
> "Building the BartPe" part of the instructions. Of
> course there are
> instructions on the BartPe site itself, but I found
> these easier to
> follow. Also shows how to add plug-ins.

Michael,

I was about to do a first attempt at making a Bart PE
disk when I ran out of time, and had to go out of
town. I think I got the prerequisites out of the way,
which from what I had read involved having an XP boot
partition *at SP2 level.* (This is on a spare, test
hard drive, not normally attached to anything. W2K is
still my standard WIN-option.) So, all the hassle of
putting on SP2 and subsequent patches was unnecessary
?

Anyway, both my W2K and XP were put on from Corporate
Edition install CDs by me, not there as pre-installs.
I'm well aware that Bart can only be done from a fully
installed XP, but in *neither* opsys do I see an \I386
directory right off of the root. W2K has a
\WINNT\Driver Cache\I386 directory -- about 70 meg.s
worth, ever since SP4 went on quite a long time ago.
I believe there is a somewhat differently named \I386
directory on XP, which is also about 3 levels down off
the root, and I think that currently hold about 285
meg.s worth of content. I probably can't quote this
exactly until I return in a week or so. Someone has a
laptop here with XP on it, but it is a pre-load.

Bottom line: on my installation, if the Bart PE
scripts are looking for an \I386 directly off the
root, they are sure to bomb out in very short order.

I printed out the pages you linked for us, and hope
this will turn out to be as straightforward as you had
indicated. Otherwise, I will have to do some
slipstreaming, I guess, and rearrange the furniture.
There are several plugins that will be of interest,
starting with FireFox (getting this closer to some
things the Knoppix cd can do), and replacing that
Acronis plugin that never worked on their own cd. A
Xy plugin would be great. Presumably this will take
some cues from the "Portable Xy" type of setup, so
that there are no hardwired locations to trip over.

The purported ability to have a Bart PE that can boot
from a memory stick sounds very interesting, though
there seems to be a lack of unanimity as to how
reliable this might be.

 Jordan