BAD PHONE LINES

 I'm in NYC and it is quite bad about 2/3 of the time. I'm convinced it is
your central exchange that is at fault. Can you give us an alternate number
that doesn't start 667?
  You can usually tell the quality of the lines by just listening (with your
ears--you remember them, they were pre-modem communication devices :-) ). I have also been told by
a technical engineer from one of the Bell's that just
the  sound of the dial tone--how "clean" it is--is an indicator of how good
the   central office equip. is.