XPL IN XY4

XY-> Carl Distefano:
XY-> As I see it, any two or three of the above are worth the
price of
 -> admission, especially since "legacy" code can, in large
part, be imported
 -> as is.

Hi, Carl,

Yes, I quoted that before, but it seemed as good as introduction
to any for a follow-up message.

I've just downloaded your SMART file from TTG, and it's really
fascinating. It'll take me weeks (if not months) to sort out
everything that you've included. But I've two fast observations.

First, the command line arg to a run seems to work in Xy 4.016,
but exactly how it works is not immediately obvious. My own
XPLs (which cover different ground than yours and which shows
what a wide open field XPL is) are search- and multifile-
oriented. One from xy3+ (in xy4) is a program that just runs
another program or programs and it relies on a command-line arg
to let the secondary file know when it has already been run once.
In this it works in xy 4; how it works I haven't figured out
because it seems atypical. At first I thought it was due to the
fact that any arg was given; but when I changed the arg, the
programs collapsed at that juncture. It's there. But in an odd
form.

Second, I've also been interested in programs that create other
programs to run, and my 1000-change program worked on that basis.
XPL is amazingly flexible.

Thank you for uploading that file to TTG!

--Chet
---
 ? SLMR 2.1a ? Art + write + dtp = chet.gottfried@xxxxxxxx