Re: Can keyboard assignment use Windows key?

Reply to note from "Martin J. Osborne"
Mon, 10 Jan 2011 21:14:42 -0500

Martin:

> My guess is that if you couldn't figure out how to reassign the
> Win key...

OK, I found a way to do it. If you reconfigure one or both Win keys
as the grave accent/tilde key (the key to the left of "1" on top row
of the main keyboard), then the Win key will issue the expected key
code of 41 in XyWrite. You can then edit your KBD file to reassign
key 41 as a shifting key.

Here are Registry edits to reconfigure the left, right, and both Win
keys as the grave accent/tilde key:

http://users.datarealm.com/ammaze/xfer/leftwin.reg
http://users.datarealm.com/ammaze/xfer/rightwin.reg
http://users.datarealm.com/ammaze/xfer/bothwin.reg

Download the desired file, then, at the DOS prompt, command (for
example):

LEFTWIN.REG

Reply Yes to the prompt, then reboot Windows to activate the change.

Note that you can still assign the grave accent (`) to key 41 when
it's used as a shifting key; the character will appear when the key
is released. You'll need to reassign the tilde (a/k/a discretionary
hyphen). I believe the traditional XyWrite assignment for this char
is Ctrl-hyphen, so you may already have it there.

Let us know how it works.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx