Re: Wikipedia entry on XyWrite

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, Carl Distefano wrote:
Agreed. No question. I was merely suggesting that when one more or
less arbitrary convention is replaced by another (dots versus
dashes, for example), there is nothing to get exercised about.
(Although, in fact, this has not happened in the case of the em dash
and the ellipsis. They aren't interchangeable.) But surely there's
no doubt that having *some* mark to indicate a pause, hesitation,
and the like adds evocativeness to the language. And clarity,
insofar as to omit the mark would change or obscure the meaning.
Thanks for this side-observation, Carl. I'd been puzzled by the E-mail
messages from one particular student around here who started writing me
last semester as a member of his advisory committee. His messages are
filled with hyphens, sometimes three, sometimes nearly fifteen
-------------- between clauses and sentences. Now I see that he's using
them as if they were dots-a-la-Marge. And a quick look at his most recent
message shows a relaxed alternation between ... and --- (yes, Patricia,
always with the superfluous spaces around either form).
So just you wait, Carl, there may be a movement afoot to replace those
dots with dashes. (For you sociolinguists, the student is
"non-traditional," probably about 40 years old.)

Who knew ------?

Carlo
Carlo Caballero
thyrsus@xxxxxxxx