Graphics Card & Xy

Daniel Say was kind enough to point out that I didn't really ask what I
meant to in my message about getting a graphics card for xy 3.57. So,
thank you, Daniel, and here goes again.

I'm getting a new Pentium system with a 17" Nanao, and and would like to
get a graphics card that is fast in Win and DOS, has good drivers, maybe
even for OS/2, which I'l like to try, and high DOS (as well as windows)
refresh rates. I'll be using the system for writing and dtp. Most of my
time will be spent writing in Xy 3.57. Can anyone recommend a card?

I'm concerned about dos refresh rates because I'm extremely sensitive to
screen flicker. Because of this, one of the options I'm considering is
using a monochrome monitor for word processing and a color one for dtp and
photo retouching. Am I right in assuming that I'd need two video cards?
An SVGA for windows programs and a monochrome for dos xy?

Would this type of setup, allow me to set dos xy (and other dos progms) to
either the mono or svga card? Does anyone have experience with this kind
of setup? If so, which mono cards do you recommend? And is the setup I
have in mind possible? Hard to do? More trouble than it's worth?

I also wonder if it's possible to hook up one monitor to two cards, and
switch between the cards using software commands?

Thanks for any help and advice, sorry it took me two messages to get this
straight.

Ellen

--
: Ellen Kessler : "Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as :