Re: Xy4 problem

Morris:

I've seen this happen from time to time. A bunch of
garbage, often several times the size of the actual file,
appears seemingly out of nowhere and attaches itself to
the end of the file like chewing gum. If you DeFine and
delete the garbage, then STore and reCAll the file, the
garbage is still there. Very annoying.

This has no apparent connection with the IO or 1A
settings (though you should check to make sure that both
are set to 0). It's also very unlikely that your copy of
EDITOR.EXE is corrupted. My experience is that you *can*
get rid of the garbage -- the only problem is, I don't
remember how.

The first thing to do is quit and restart Xy. Then try
this:
Command D 1A=1
CAll the file in eXPanded view: CA/100 filename.ext
Command D 1A=0
DeFine the non-garbage part of the file (the part you
want to keep)
Command NE/100 to open an Untitled file in eXPanded view
CoPy the DeFined text into the Untitled window
STore the Untitled window under a new filename:
 ST filename.new
ABort the original file
Command DIR filename.new. Does the file size correspond
to the text you saved or is it too big (i.e., the garbage
is still there)?
If the size is right, you should then be able to safely
CAll filename.new

If this doesn't work, let us know and we'll think of
something else. This *can* be solved and, once we do, we
should document (and possibly automate) the solution for
future reference.

Good luck.

--
Carl Distefano