Re: off topic: different cultures, same ideas

My understanding is that the trees were there when they arrived. But that
they eventually, under population pressure, cut them down for
firewood--leaving them without the means of building boats, and thus of
important ways of fishing (as well as traveling). And, I gather, that as
the wood gave out they turned to burning the books in what had been at
least somewhat extensive libraries. The story sort of looks a little like
those cartoons where, for example, Wiley Coyote, runs off a cliff and keeps
going horizontally until finally he notices that he is over a great
drop--and too far from the cliff to grab it or go back. Only it's the
population that crashes here. We seem to be trying to replicate the effect
with our own environmental policies.

                Cheers