Are software firewalls necessary--off topic

I subscribe to Kim Komando's email newsletter (which I occasionally find to
be of some value). In today's edition, she says:

"Unfortunately, router firewalls are mostly inadequate. They do hide the
router. But if a malicious program gets into the network, most can't
block it from communicating with the Internet.

"A good software firewall will hide your computers, and it will block
outbound transmissions. So each computer on the network should have a
software firewall, such as ZoneAlarm or Outpost."
Is a software firewall really necessary? I used to have ZoneAlarm, but I found it irritating (and almost impossible to remove once installed).

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx