Re: INstall

Michael,

Instead of Safe Mode, select Start in DOS mode and run through the
install process, probably with a CD in the drive. (DOS mode may load
CD-ROm drivers, which Safe Mode wouldn't, but otherwise it's prbably a
better place to do a DOS install of XY.

After restarting Windows, find your Xy directory and make a shortcut for
the Editor program, and drag that out onto your desktop. Right-click it
to select Properties, and make sure you have the settings you want for
the Memory, Screen, and Misc. tabs. Others on the list can share their
preferred settings.

If Xy4 is as demanding of memory as NB4.5, you may want these settings
at the beginning of your Config.sys file:

DEVICE=C:\Windows\himem.sys
DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.EXE RAM
DOS=HIGH,UMB

(For Win95, prefer NOEMS instead of RAM on the second line.)

That will give DOS programs maximum lower memory inside or outside
Windows. Restart your machine for the new settings to take effect.

Good luck.

   Dorothy

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Michael Norman wrote:

> Curiously, my installation problems with XyDos continue. To recap, I've
> been trying to install 4.017 on a Gateway Win98 of three years vintage. I
> recalled several years ago have installation problems on another Gateway
> several years ago until TTG tech support told me to reboot and during the
> startup routine, hit F8, select safe mode and install from there. I used
> that procedure this time. The program apparently installs, but when you
> start it, all you get is either a blank screen (in maximized mode) or a
> nearly blank window (with just the "N" for num-lock showing in the corner)
> in windows mode. And it appears frozen. The "N" leads me to think that
> there might be a display problem and thus an ANSI problem, though I can
> make no further sense of it from there. Perhaps the "safe mode" is the
> wrong mode and I'll try to re-install from the other modes. Anyone
> experience anything remotely like this over the years?

*****
Dorothy Day
School of Library & Information Science
Indiana University
day@xxxxxxxx
*****

	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."