Re: file searching/vista help

Bill Troop wrote:
oh dear - and I believe I have Vista auto-updating on.
Then you've probably already gotten WGA rammed down your throat, will-ye, nill-ye. So you probably can let it go on. It's WGA (a piece of spyware, pure and simple) that really riles me.
And on the subject of WINHELP from Patricia's Nasty Vista post, MS now _does_ allow Winhelp to be installed. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=6EBCFAD9-D3F5-4365-8070-334CD175D4BB&displaylang=en
Thanks, that looked promising, but on investigating I found it requires "validation"--that is, letting WGA be installed. Apart from its being spyware, I furiously resent the implication that I'm a crook. (It takes one to know one, as we used to say at St. Trinian's.) But I wonder if I couldn't download it on the office box (where I _had_ to let WGA be installed or not have anti-virus--not to be thought of with the ninnies we have sending us heaven knows what), then copy it to the laptop? Probably not.
I must say, on balance, that Vista seems to be an awfully amateurish system.
In spades! There are _some_ good things, like letting you chose to overwrite, not copy, or keep both versions when copying files by drag and drop from the GUI. Of course, that can leave one (as I just discovered when consolidating some backup archives at the office) with 20 files with the same name, distinguished only by a number at the end (and a real mess if you need to access the short file name from a DOS app).
-- Patricia M. Godfrey priscamg@xxxxxxxx