Re: Zyindex ( non zywrite question)

Avrom Fischer wrote:

> Dear Mr. Fox I had written earlier today about zyindex and some
> replies had suggested Magellan. When I went to the web site I could
> not find the download for Magellan. Could you help.
>
>   Try
> http://www2.support.lotus.com/ftp/pub/desktop/Magellan/2.x/misc/
>
>   At first, the directory appears to contain just various
> accessory files, but the 24th. item purports to be the main 2.0
> program. (That being said, I did not stop to attempt any
> downloads.)
>
> I feel like an idiot but then on other occasions I have gone to web
> sites and not been able to find something that I realized afterwards
> was in plain sight.
>
>   Don't worry about it. Happens to us all.
> By the way I have somewhere a smartsuite cd. Do you know wheter it
> would it be on there and if so would it work with winxp. Also do
> you think it worthwhile looking for the smartsuite cd.

   The thing about Smartsuite is that they released quite a few
versions, for various platforms. I've seen various different releases
for DOS, for Windoze, and for OS/2. (Perhaps they also released it
for Linux and the Mac ?) If you are a Win user, you might be better
off with a relatively late release for that platform -- unless the
suite contents changed and items that would be of interest to you got
dropped, something I would not really know about. If you're talking
about an older DOS version of the suite, there could well be problems
running it under XP, but that is just surmise. It is my understanding
that some 16-bit Win programs (circa Win 3.1 to W95) don't run or
don't run well under post-W2K Windoze. There may be similar
compatibility issues with some DOS programs.

You could probably find the Win suite pretty cheap on Ebay, which is a
good resource for used, overstock, and non-current software.

Jordan