Re: XyWrite hangs on quitting.

> Reply to note from "Michael Edwards"  Thu, 6 Sep
> 2001 05:59:03 +1000
>

> You don't say which version of XyWrite you're using, but the
> procedure is basically the same for any version. If you're in 50-
> line mode, go the Xy command line and execute D SL=50. (That's F5
> to blank the command line, D, space, SL=50, and F9 to execute.) If
> you change your DOS setting back to 25 lines, command D SL=25.
>
> The factory default is 25. If you want to make 50 your personal
> default, you'll have to modify STARTUP.INT or your printer file (or
> SETTINGS.DFL if you're running Xy4). If you toggle screen lengths a
> lot, you may want to set up a little XPL routine that keeps the DOS
> and Xy settings synchronized. If you need help doing any of this,
> let me know.
>
> > Is using Windows 95 the problem? I am aware that many on this
> > list use XyWrite with Windows, but I wonder whether it would
> > really be better to use a proper DOS for it, not the pseudo-DOS
> > that comes with Windows.
>
> Actually, Win95 *is* real DOS. What it *isn't* is a real (pre-
> emptive) multitasking OS. It's NT, I think, that has a DOS
> "implementation" or emulation. For what it's worth, I've never had
> any problem running XyDOS under either 95 or NT. NT4, in
> particular, despite a few quirks in the advanced file system (NTFS),
> is a very stable platform for Xy.

Hello Carl,
I recognize your name as the keeper of the Xywrite
mail list and you discuss some issues here which I am
interested in.

I recently came across this list and your website. I am
a long time user of Xywrite--going back to 1985, close to
the time Xywrite came out. I still use it - some of
it stubborn because I learned it and don't have the
patience to learn Word for Windows even though I have
it so that I can read the docs from friends. I even
learned its programming language and use some self
made routines.

I was happy to learn that xywrite can work under the
WinNT kernel as that will be used for WinXP.

I have two questions:
 1. I am on the list of emails for XyWrite but it
   gets bothersome at the number of emails that
  arrive daily. Why not have a newsgroup which one
  can peruse the articles whenever?
 2. I saw the reference to Xywrite 4 and wonder what
  that is. I use the dos v3 and never got the windows
  version. How is this v4 obtained and what features
  does it add?
//
 Forrest