hardcode.pgm

Ages ago, there was a program called hardcode.pgm that was supposed to
remove all variables, like counters, and put in hard codes, to make your
export to other formats foolproof. I tried this program many times, but
could never get it to work. Could anyone tell me if there is either (1) a
version of hardcode that really works or (2) a more limited program that
will just take the counters (like , , etc.) and convert them into
their hard equivalents? I would be grateful to have a workable solution to
this problem. I often need to draft a list with auto numbers, but then if I
have to export it, I have a problem. Thanks.