off topic electric camera problems help needed

I know that some people (including my own children) have labeled xywrite users Luddites but I have found that this user group is among the most technically sophisticated groups I know of, a fact that Robert in a different context has commented on.  My friend Norman Friedman, who is the author of more than 25 books published by the Naval Institute Press, has a serious technical camera problem and was wondering if members of the list could held him or recommend someone who could hold him.

 He wrote me as follows:

The camera is a Canon A620, and the card is a 2 Gbyte SD card.

       It is conceivable that I messed
up the card myself by hitting the wrong button the day before the crash,
but it kept registering shots after that. When I turned on the camera
the next morning, it registered 'Memory Problem.' I pulled out the card
and re-inserted it. The camera then acted as though nothing was on the
card (rather than the approximately 2000 shots I had done the previous
day). I immediately pulled it and substituted another card, which worked
perfectly. When I got home I put the card in a reader (a Wolverine with
a 60 G hard disk, that I use to dump cards before dumping the images
into the computer). The Wolverine refused to 'mount' the card; on one
occasion it read 'no partition detected.' That suggests that the card's
equivalent of a root directory had been wiped out, and that the images
may survive, albeit not in proper order.
    I should explain that I was using the camera for research, shooting
pictures of pages of documents in an archive (in this case, the British
Public Record Office -- World War I era stuff). I was shooting at
minimum resolution, which makes text readable but allows me to stuff
very large numbers of images onto one card. This really works rather
well; it is like having a personal Xerox machine but not having to carry
a ton of paper. But it does not work too well if you get home and find
that you are without the goodies.
    Any advice will be extremely welcome.