Code Page strait jacket (?)

This is a longstanding question I've had, but I don't
think I ever got around to asking it here.

One's Code Page setting seems to be under the
jurisdiction of the operating system. I find nothing
changeable in this regard in Settings.Dfl or Xy
generally, except for the VA$CP reporting facility.
Code Page does not seem to garner any mention in the
Help for the Jumbo U2 . . . but I don't have the most
recent version installed, so I could well be wrong.
(Plese don't berate me for this Robert -- a number of
things around here could use some updating, and I'll
get to them when I can.)

The Code Page in my eCS boots is set by default to
850, probably to accommodate things like the use of
Unicode in Mozilla. (I don't recall what the
situation is in the W2K boots -- most likely the same
story -- but I'll check that out.)

Anyway, I have long used certain markers to flag
certain items in text files, even placing them on
Save/Gets way back when. One of these, I'll paste in
below with its annotation from my old ASCII.Ref file.

   	251	¹	Radical / sq. root

This won't show up as intended in your browser, or
even in your Xy, but it should be an Ascii 251,
flanked respectively by   -- in other
words, a bolded square root sign. This looks sort of
like a check mark, which is why I selected it long
ago.

If I boot real DOS and look at this, it will show up
as I originally intended in countless documents,
because DOS uses Code Page 437. But, in Xy4 under
eCS, it just shows up as a red [318] marker. That
must be due to the 850 Code Page. Outside of Xy, as
above, it seems to be a superscripted 1 for some
reason. I don't run Xy that often under Win, so I
can't recall how it displays there just now, and I
have more critical display issues under Win that I'll
deal with in another post.

Ideally, I'd like to have at-will use of both code
pages, but I'm doubting this is going to be possible ?
 I certainly don't want to do anything system wide
that might screw up the browser or some other app.s
like the Office Suites. In the event there is some
ready, safe fix for this, in either or both OSes, I'd
certainly like to hear about it.

Thanks.

Jordan