Re: Dosemu, Linux, XyWrite -- another clipboard kludge

Hi Robert,

I would have answered your Sunday email below sooner, but for some reason Sunday's Xywrite listserv
digest in which it was included never arrived in my inbox. I only discovered your email tonight when
I went to look at the Xywrite discussion group archives on the web.

Robert Holmgren wrote:
>Surely you could use any Linux macro language to
>write a little script that reads/writes to the system Clipboard?

I wish I could write such a script, but my program skills are somewhat limited. Created a keyboard
macro is something I understand. Writing scripts is not something I know much about. I managed a few
batch files in Windows, but having switched to Linux only three weeks ago, a Linux script is more
than I care to tackle at the moment.

However, I as well as the growing number of other Linux/Xywrite users would be immensely grateful
for any script you can put together that could copy-and-paste between Xyrite and Linux in one
keystroke.

>BTW, why are you guys still using Xy3?...

I use both Xy3 and Xy4. Xy4 is for writing emails. I installed it about two years ago in Windows so
I could use your wonderful clip routine to cut-and-paste into and out of Xywrite to my email
program. Xy3 is for writing articles and books. It is so customized to my needs I don't want to
spend the time switching. So far I haven't had the need.

>Thinking further about it, I'd guess that the major hurdle is
>triggering a macro in underlying Linux OpSys from your DOS
>emulator. How do you overcome that problem?

I haven't. I press a Xy4 keyboard macro that saves my email as clip.txt, then run an Linux/Xmacro
macro to paste clip.txt into my email. Two keystrokes instead of the one that your U2 clip routine
gave me in Windows. Not as good, but like I said, I'm not a programmer. Considering all, it ain't
bad.

>You're all using DOSEMU?

I use DosBox, though it appears most others use Dosemu. If I had a clip routine that worked with
Dosemu I would certainly switch.

Bob
4708 Montgomery Place
Beltsville, Maryland 20705