RE: Death of the English Language

I feel for writing teachers; you're a brave bunch. I'm tempted to agree with you about "begs t.q." and other tortured expressions ("as such" springs to mind), just as sometimes, in exasperation, I feel like joining the group that wants to ban the apostrophe altogether. But, in the end, I feel that this would be a capitulation -- to mediocrity, to know-nothingism, to sloppiness -- to all the vices that plague what passes for discourse in this brain-fried age. The best we can do, I think, is to keep calm and carry on, explain patiently to those who would listen, and deliver the occasional knock on the door in the dark of night to egregious violators. (I'm speaking metaphorically, of course. I draw the line at actually dragging offenders off to prison, though sometimes I wish I could. After confiscating their earphones.)

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx