Printers usable with XyWrite.

                         Michael Edwards.

   I would like to ask a question, please, that relates to what printers will
work with XyWrite.
   I've been told (privately, by a list member) that there have been no new
printer drivers for some years. However, XyWrite supports printers that use
Hewlett-Packard's printer control language PCL5, and so only new printers that
use this language will be usable with XyWrite. I was advised to check with the
list whether it will work with my printers, and not just assume it. (I think my
informant was referring to the DOS version of XyWrite - at least, that is the
version I had asked about.)
   This is something I know nothing about, and printers are a real mystery to
me. I have an NEC Pinwriter P7 which I've been using with a 5-year-old 486
desktop which uses DOS 6.22; and I also have a Canon portable printer, BJC-80.
   I do not know if either of these uses PCL5. It seems from what I was told
that this language is standard for desktop laser printers, so it doesn't sound
all that likely my printers (NEC, dot matrix; Canon, bubble jet) use it.
   Because the Canon is relatively recent, I assume that XyWrite doesn't have
a driver for it. But the NEC is much older (I don't know exactly how much,
because I bought it second-hand about 5 years ago), and therefore it seems
possible XyWrite might have a driver for it.
   Does anyone know whether this is so? Does anyone know about whether either
printer uses PCL5?
   In short, I would appreciate any information on whether XyWrite version 4
(for I think I will accept the offer I've been made of a copy of version 4) will
be able to work with either of these printers.

   Another thing: I started a web site this year, so writing web pages has
become a fairly important part of my writing recently. I just wonder whether
XyWrite is suitable for writing web pages in. I've been using WordPad to do
this (inserting all the H.T.M.L. code by hand) - so would there be any advantage
in using XyWrite to do this, rather than continuing to use WordPad?
   Thanks.

             Regards,
             Michael Edwards.