Re: accented letters

Perhaps I missed something in the early stages of this discussion, but
wouldn't something like the following be the simplest approach?

1)  Add instructions such as the sample below to your keyboard file.

TABLE=CTRL+SHIFT
30=à
31=á
32=ä
33=â
36=î
37=û
38=ù
46=ç
49=ñ
50=Ñ
For a more complete set: (See attached file: ACCENT)

2)  When you need an accent letter, type CTRL-SHIFT shift plus the
reconfigured key. E.g., per the above example, CTRL-SHIFT and "a" gives à;
CTRL-SHIFT and "s" gives á; and so forth.

Confession: Likely I learned this approach decades ago from superior
XyWriters than I.

Wm. Warner
English Terminologist
United Nations Headquarters
For UN terminology: http://unterm.un.org/

           "M.W. Poirier"

           a.ca>            cc:
           Sent by:           Subject: Re: accented letters
           owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx
           s.upenn.edu

           19/07/2005 03:48 PM
           Please respond to
           xywrite

 Alternatively, you could hold down the ALT key and type
 in the appropriate number from the number pad, which is
 what I usually do, since I've committed to memory all of
 the appropriate numbers for the French accented letters.

 And even better way would be to update to the latest
 jumbo U2 file, and write ACCENTS on the command line,
 after you have typed the letter that needs and accent.

 M.W. Poirier

-----