Re: SY

Reply to note from Fred Weiner  Fri, 16 Aug 2013
21:49:18 -0700

Fred:

> Can anyone walk me through the use of SY (symbol set...)

It's an obscure (to me) setting. I believe it's only relevant if an
HP LaserJet printer is installed. Anyway, the usage is:

SY s,p,w

where s is the Hewlett-Packard symbol set; p is the pitch (chars per
inch) for monospaced fonts (for proportional fonts p is 0); and w is
a number from -7 to 7 that specifies the weight (-3 is light, 0 is
normal, 7 is ultra black).

The default values are 23Z,0,0. other values can be set in
SETTINGS.DFL, e.g.:

df sy=23Z,10,0

Or a SY command can be embedded in a file with a command:
SZ 23Z,10,0.

My understanding is that 23Z is XyWrite's proprietary symbol set for
the Speedo extended character set (or the portion of it that's
actually available for printing in XyWrite). Other HP symbol sets
are listed here: http://www.rexswain.com/hpsymset.html. Again, I
think they're only useful with an HP LJ printer, but I could be
wrong about that.

VA/NV SY returns a 4th parameter (0 on my system). As far as I know
it's not documented, and I don't know what it refers to.

Anyone with more information, please chime in.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx