Re: Lenovo Thinkpad X61 (OT)

--- Philip Friedman  wrote:

> >Jordan wrote:
> >
> >>not go Lenovo the next time around -- despite
> their
> >>mostly liking the models they had -- because of...
>
> >>things like losing the specific and carefully
> >>set-up network or wifi configuration. These were
> >>things that in some cases required the attention
> of a
> >>consultant, to do workarounds or set things right.
>
> I've had this kind of problem with my T20 running
> W2K and my wife's X40 running XP. Never occurred to
> me that it was something inherent in the computer.
> Do other brands not have this problem?

I'm just an outside observer on this, not a laptop
owner, and so can't really say. It is certainly
possible, as I think other brands do their own
proprietary things, but IBM was long known for going
their own way. I don't believe it was anything
inherently flawed or bad, and was definitely an
attempt to add value for their business customers, but
it does seem to have had these unintended consequences
-- which tended to involve interactions with *other*
software products, such as Norton. Whether or not
Lenovo has continued the things that IBM was doing, I
have no idea.

 Jordan