Re: Luddite defined

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Robert Holmgren wrote:

> >> You'd be startled at just how much labor I've saved by sticking to
> >> Xy3!
>
> > Me, too.
>
> Me too! _Really_ startled. When I remember how painful and contorted it
> was to construct operations in Xy3, how long it took -- whew! Xy4 is much easier
> to use and to customize, IMO. And the additional power under the hood is
> immeasurable. Glad we all agree.

I suspect if I had some need for the "additional power under the hood" I
might agree, but my writing needs have been fairly static for 20 years. I
write letters, term papers, and novels; I agonize about the words I put on
paper, but care very little about changing type fonts, including cartoons
scanned from the daily paper, or changing my copy every time some
particular stock price goes south. Once upon a time, when I was young and
ambitious, I sat down with the Xy3 manuals and cooked up my very own
keyboard file, my own long default "printer" file, and even amended the
help files to my satisfaction. I suppose I could do this all over again,
so I could update to a later and less-Luddite version of XyWrite, but
would it improve the text of those letters, etc? Or speed up the
composition. Probably not. So, here I sit in my wooden shoes...

  ms44278@xxxxxxxx
  Mike Shupp
  California State University, Northridge
  Graduate Student, Dept. of Anthropology