XYwrite mention as winning technology ...

http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/05/28/22OPeditor_1.html

Editor's Letter
 May the best tech win
BEA and Microsoft struggle to explain the merits of some slick technology
By Steve Fox
Infoweek May 28, 2004

The best technology doesn't always win. Blame poor
marketing, bad timing, or just plain dumb luck, but the
dustbins of history are lined with examples of superior
technologies that failed to capture market share. Everyone
mentions Betamax, which had its clock cleaned by VHS. But I
prefer to cite personal favorite XyWrite, a fast, flexible
app from the late '80s that made competing word processors
look like manual typewriters. Ditto the 64-bit DEC Alpha,
which had the chops but not the marketing muscle needed to
win.

I've been ruminating on this issue since reading "BEA
announces Liquid Computing," an analysis of latest
announcements from BEA, a company with top-flight
technology but perhaps not always top-flight marketing,
timing, or luck.

..... OK, I've had my say. Now it's your turn. I'd love to hear
about inferior technologies that dominated their betters.
Shoot me an e-mail and I'll share your comments in an
upcoming issue.

   mailto:steve_fox@xxxxxxxx