Re: Linux and XyWrite.

Michael Edwards wrote:

>   Given that other versions of Linux have been recommended in this group, my
> question is: should I go with one of these others and forget Red Hat? Or is it
> a relatively minor point, and can I use Red Hat, as my brother recommends, and
> still use XyWrite reliably?
>   I suppose no-one in this group would *ever* recommend against XyWrite, so
> maybe it would be futile to ask whether my best course might be to abandon
> XyWrite altogether, and instead find a good Linux-based word-processor. But if
> anyone has any thoughts on this, I would appreciate them. Thanks.

Michael,

This is nothing I haven't said before, but as long as the necessary hardware
continues to support it (i.e., no critical compatibility fork in the road for X86
processors, as was floated several years ago, though this has yet to materialize), I
would not consider giving up Xy. Why should I ? It is by far the best at what it
does well, and anything else would be a continually irksome and miserable
downgrade. I'm not going to let a mere opsys dictate this decision to me.
EcomStation should extend the viability of OS/2 at least a few more years -- more,
if one is willing to lay in some spare hardware components. SVISTA holds out the
promise for making essential Win app.s available to eCS users.

Where are the promised killer app.s (accurate, nearly real-time language
translation; artificial intelligence; useful programs that are controlled by voice
command) which will require the higher-powered computers of a 64 or 128 bit world
that is supposedly on its way ? Well, don't hold your breath for too long on that.
Uncle Bill has managed to kill off most competition or innovation in the software
sector. Anything "new" that we are seeing is on the order of (basic) desktop video
becoming much more mainstream, and yes, that does require heavier iron.

If it should come down to this, I will keep an older system going to run the
practical, important things (like Xy), and a more up to date one for the gee-whiz
multimedia things, and network them if that becomes necessary.

Jordan