Re: Fw: new pc finally arrived and have to make decisions-help

Robert Holmgren wrote:
> XP is fine. Win2K happens to run DOS apps better, but... whatever you're
comfortable with. XP is just Win2K with an Apple interface (and a couple of
interesting possibilities for screen fonts, and a ton of security making
incessant noise, bugging you with prompts and suggestions and tips and assorted
garbage, plus frequent updates). Win2K leaves you alone, lets you work. XP is
meant for people who come from 9x -- a very mixed bag. Lots of handholding and
patronization. 2K was developed for prior NT users, who were always treated
more like adults. It's a shock to go from 2K to XP! A real shock. It's like
a giant step down.
I agree and, of course, I am using W2000K. Maybe XP includes some
optimization for video and multimedia tasks. Using VirtualDub (or
similar apps), I am unable to get audio/video sync and acceptable
playback under W2000K, even after upgrading my processor (now a PIII
Tualatin 1.4Ghz 512K 133 Mhz). No problem with a laptop I borrowed for
testing purposes under XP (slightly more up to date: ThinkPad R51, 1.6Ghz).
Manuel Castelao