Re: reply to Robert Holmgren on memory problems--special characters

Note on Richard Giering's query and Carl diStefano's response on Sat 20
June about umlaut, etc. characters.

*Keyboard.* The simplest soultion for me has been to set up a keyboard
for the standard lowercase diacritic characters--stealing a trick from
Nota Bene. On my Ctrl+Alt kbd, the circumflex characters are on the top
row (1-). umlauts on the 2nd row (Q-), acute accents on the third (A-)
and grave accents on the bottom (Z-). Characters are ranged above and
below the base character: a circumflex is 1, a umlaut is q, a acute is
a, a grave is z. And so on. With n tilde, a tilde, o tilde, c cedilla,
the ae and oe ligatures, the German double s, and the inverted query and
exclamation marks tucked in here and there. That gives the German,
French, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese accented characters on screen
and printed out. In XyWrite.

I haven't put the cap diacritics on a KBD, since unaccented caps are
accepted now in most languages. If I want an accented cap I enter the Xy
number with Shift+Alt+numeric keyboard.

*Conversions* Characters other than the standard 128 must of course be
converted to be read by another word processor or in HTML. The XyWrite
conversions to and from HTML pick up nearly all of the standard
diacritics but miss a few--like the a tilde and o tilde of Portuguese,
the oe ligature of French, and many of the cap diacritics. There are
omissions in practically all conversions to and from other word
processors. You can fix the omissions in conversions to Xy, anyhow, with
little SNR programs.

XyWrite has its own number codes for ASCII characters above the standard
128; they're listed in the CHARSET file. Xy has its own code page, in
short, that doesn't correspond to any of the standard pages so far as I
know. This accounts for some (most?) of the garbled texts when you
import files. The garbles can be corrected with a search-and-replace
program. A little monotonous to write, but when it's done it's done, and
if additions crop up in the future thay're easy to insert.

The XyWrite codes in CHARSET work no matter what typeface you're using,
but they may not look quite right unless it's a fairly standard typeface
like Times Roman or Arial or Courier. The character range is huge, but
there are troublesome omissions that were never corrected by Bitstream.

*XyWin Upper Codes for ASCII 850 code page*

In ASCII 850 order--a file copied from XyWin. Those with an asterisk
don't convert to HTML in the XyWrite conversion. (A few convert only to
the HTML code.) Quite a few don't convert on my screen in Netscape
Navigator--I've entered a "--" in the blanks--but I can put the missing
character on screen by entering the PS number with Alt+0165, etc. The
missing ones very rarely appear in most files. Nearly all of the common
letters with diacritics are here, and convert nicely between Xy and HTML

(Wonder how this XyWin file is converted in moving on and off the
Clipboard.)

ASCII	XyWin		Character Name

134	391	?	Dagger*
135	392	?	Double dagger*
138	344	?	S caron*
139	262	?	Left single guillemet*
140	659	?	OE*
145	266	?	Left single quote*
146	267	?	Right single quote*
147	264	?	Left double quote*
148	265	?	Right double quote*
150	259	?	En dash* –
151	260	?	Em dash* &mdash
154	349	?	s caron
155	263	?	Right single guillemet
156	660	?	oe
161	173	¡	Exclamation point inv
163	156	£	Pound
165	190	--	Yen
166	221	--	Broken bar
167	245	--	Section
169	184	--	Copyright
171	174	«	Left double guillemet
172	170	¬	Logical not
173	240	--	Hyphen
174	169	--	Registered
175	238	¯
176	248	°	Degree* &degree;
177	241	±	Plus or minus
182	244	--	Paragraph
183	250	·	Middle dot
184	247	--	Cedilla
187	175	»	Right double guillemet
188	172	¼	One-quarter
189	171	½	One-half
190	243	--	Three-quarters
191	168	¿	Question mark, inv
192	183	--	A grave
193	181	--	A acute
194	182	--	A circumflex
195	199	--	A tilde
196	142	Ä	A umlaut
197	143	Å	A overcircle
198	146	Æ	AE diphthong
199	128	Ç	C Cedilla
200	212	--	E grave
201	144	É	E acute
202	210	--	E circumflex
203	211	--	E umlaut
204	222	--	I grave
205	214	--	I acute
206	215	--	I circumflex
207	216	--	I umlaut
209	165	Ñ	N tilde
210	227	--	O grave
211	224	--	O acute
212	226	--	O circumflex
213	229	--	O tilde
214	153	Ö	O umlaut
215	158	--	Multiply
216	157	¥	O slash	 (yen, an error on my screen)
217	235	--	U grave
218	233	--	U acute
219	234	--	U circumflex
220	154	Ü	U umlaut
223	225	ß	German double s
224	133	à	a grave
225	160	á	a acute
226	131	â	a circumflex
227	198	--	a tilde
228	132	ä	a umlaut
229	134	å	a overcircle
230	145	æ	ae diphthong
231	135	ç	c cedilla
232	138	è	e grave
233	130	é	e acute
234	136	ê	e circumflex
235	137	ë	e umlaut
236	141	ì	i grave
237	161	í	i acute
238	140	î	i circumflex
239	139	ï	i umlaut
241	164	ñ	n tilde
242	149	ò	o grave
243	162	ó	o acute
244	147	ô	o circumflex
245	228	--	o tilde
246	148	ö	o umlaut
247	246	÷	Divide sign
248	155	¢	o slash	(cent, an error on my screen)
249	151	ù	u grave
250	163	ú	u acute
251	150	û	u circumflex
252	129	ü	u umlaut
253	236	--	y acute
255	152	ÿ	y umlaut

A long message. Hope it transmits and that it's of some use.

Robert Hemenway