Re: Re.: A matter of dictionaries.

** Reply to message from "M.W. Poirier"  on Sun, 04
Jun 2006 09:47:10 -0400 (EDT)

> First, after I make the modifications you speak of below, i.e.,
> modify the UKDICT dictionary name to DICT.SPL, and then give the
> command to spellcheck, I get the error message "there is not enough
> memory to perform function."

Command HELP TOGGLEDCT. There are several considerations. Either:
 You don't start XyWrite with the expanded memory switch
  d:\path\editor.exe /e4000
 Make 5120Kb of expanded memory available on the shortcut's Memory tab
or
 DeFault OM isn't set to 31
or
 DeFault ZX isn't set to 0
or
 You didn't Quit and restart XyWrite after renaming the UK dictionary to
DICT.SPL.

> However, I do have access to the thesaurus, and here all of the words
> that one would expect to be spelled in the U.K. way are spelled in the
> U.S. manner, and it I ask for a synonym for "favour," it defaults to
> what it thinks is the closest word in the word list...

The thesaurus distributed with Xy4 is WFBG.SYN. It has nothing to do with the
Microlytics dictionaries. It is American. If you want a British thesaurus,
you need to use the PCLEX dictionary (where the thesaurus _is_ integrated into
the dictionary), not Microlytics.

There's a tonne of stuff about this in the archives.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx