Re: Xy as database handler--a workable idea

Carl wrote,

>No, it doesn't! There's a typo there. Should be  "«SX02..." -- SX,
>not SV.

Yes, how did that typo creep into my pseudo-code?

 And shouldn't it be «SX01? You want to reconstruct 01, no?

I thought it would be clearer for illustration to avoid self-reference.

Of course, even if you get it right, the same 77-byte limit applies.

I would have records > 77 bytes, but no fields > than that.

but, all in all, I'd say you're better off using XS for
this. Here's a commented procedure (encoded two ways); try it with
various values for S/G 03 (cell number).

Thanks, Carl. The error handling there does seem a big advance. Now, I
wonder if we can take the next step: making (effectively) arrays for XPL.
In BASIC, as you know, you can do things like: name$(2) = "Harry"
and even better, to change the 144th record's first-name field to "Harry":
record$(144,2) = "Harry"

Not to mention:
For i = start to finish
 For j = LowerBound to UpperBound
  record$(i,j) = "foobar" + variable$
 Next j
Next i
It would be nice to have the XPL analogs of that, maybe by calling your parser as a U2 frame.
Can you have it on my desk by Monday morning? :)

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx