Re: Mail List Posting Guidelines

Patricia:

> This is by way of testing if I can get correct message IDs with Juno when
> I've received the digest.

I guess my post yesterday was unclear. You don't need to worry about the
message ID number! Just reply to any individual digest message by creating a
*new* message and pasting (copying) the subject of the message you're replying
to into the Subject line of your new message. Even if the message ID numbers
don't coincide (they won't, of course), our XySearch software will still thread
your reply correctly. The problem Robert was referring to arises in the
converse situation, i.e., when one uses the Reply button to create what is
really intended to be a *new* thread. That's a big no-no. But you can
continue an *existing* thread simply by starting a new message and duplicating
the Subject line (adding a "Re: " at the beginning, if necessary). The
XySearch software will add the reply to the correct (existing) thread -- even
though the message ID number is different -- *provided* that the Subject: lines
coincide EXACTLY.

In short, in the situation you're concerned with, message IDs are a non-issue --
 or, at least, a non-critical issue.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx