Re: Off topic question.

 and indented lines.

 M.W. Poirier

----
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Robert Holmgren wrote:

> ** Reply to message from "M.W. Poirier"  on Sat, 18
> Dec 2004 09:40:47 -0400 (EDT)
>
> > I began experimenting with VGA fonts, and in the process found
> > what I deem to be a very attractive courier font in the package
> > FONTED30. I've since modified the font quite a bit
>
> Using Softy?

 No. There is a small font modification programme that comes with
 the fonts in FONTED30. It's called FEDITOR. It's not very sophis-
 ticated, but it works fine for my purposes. I modified the Courier
 style font in that package.

> Which Win95 font are you talking about? Look in the Properties ==> Font window
> . The classic clean Courier-style (which says "TT" True Type at left), or the
> thicker blocky one? What _size_ is it? I have what I think is a more or less
> "vanilla" installation of Win95 OSR2 which I use for testing programs (and
> never actually _use_), and I only see two basic styles available for DOS
> windows. Be *specific*! Which of the three options is selected -- Bitmap
> only, TT only, Both?
>
> In NT you have many more choices. All the fonts in Win95 could be used in
> XP. All of them. But why? The Courier fonts in NT are identical. I just
> displayed them both (COURE.FON), side by side, and I don't see one iota of
> difference. Why do you have the idea that XP fonts are so bad, and Win95
> fonts are so great? Did you look at them on the same monitor, in the
> same resolution?

 I believe that I am referring to the Classic New TT font. As for
 the size, it is set on AUTO, but I think that this is the 8x16 setting,
 and the option is Both. You say that this font can be used in XP. I
 believe you, but, in the past when I had a machine running XP (and
 it seems that I will soon have this machine again), I was never
 able to get it to fill the "DOS window" in XP at the resolution of
 8x16 or AUTO. And my screen was no different from the screen I was
 using under W95. The window in XP was always about 3/4s the size
 of the screen. It is more than annoying to work in that sort of
 window. When I was able to make it fill the DOS window, the font
 became unrecognisably large and unattractive. It was a matter of
 obtaining the right balance, one might say, but I seemed not to be
 able to obtain the same balance I was able to obtain under W95.