Re: xywrite Digest V4 #116

I tried Virtual PC 2007 first, with both Win98 and DOS 6.22. If XY is on the virtual drive, within the virtual machine, it runs smoothly, multiple windows and all. But try to run Editor from the Shared Folder, and Virtual PC just sits there--thinking or crashing, I'm not sure.

Unfortunately, with XY within the virtual machine, it's hard to get the finished prose out for
Windows use (like email). And forget about reaching the Windows clipboard.

Communication between Virtual PC and Windows is grim. I did, at one point, have Shared Folders
working but it took literal minutes to transfer a single small file. I haven't tried the networking
method, because I don't like messing with networks and passwords, but Mendelson says it's also slow
and the shared folder can't have too many files. He recommends DOSBox rather than VirtualPC for
64-bit Windows.

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/virtualpc.html

So, two Windows and clipboard importing but not exporting. It's not ideal, but it's passable.

Jon Pareles