Startup Messages

     Since this is my first posting for the XyWrite discussion list,
     let me introduce  myself. I am a low-end user with long
     experience. I have used XyWrite since 1985. For the true
     antiquarians among you, I started with counter sorters in a unit
     record environment.

     My machine is a Dell Dimension DIM 3000, 4 Intel Pentium
     Processors at 2.80 GHz; 512 MB DDR SDRAM at 400 MHz. (Most of
     these numbers mean little to me, but I assume they do to others.)
     I have MS Windows XP Pro, Version 2002, Service Pack 2.

     I have a 17" E173FP Flat Panel Display, and an HP LaserJet 1300
     Printer.

     Until a glitch in a statistical package forced me to abandon a
     Windows 98 machine a little over a year ago, I had been using
XyWrite 4.018. I continued stumbling along with XP Pro, using 4.018
     when I could, and other text editors when necessary. Some weeks
     ago, I began installing XyWWWeb.U2 [XYWEB119]. By following the
     instructions very carefully, I was able to get it up and running.

     As Harry Binswager wrote the other day, "Carl and Robert are
treasures." I am just the latest person to benefit from their efforts.

     U2 appears to be running properly, but I have a few residual
     questions. On startup, two messages flash across the screen:
     "Invalid Default Settin 1"
     can be read.

     What do these messages mean? Is there anything I should do to
     take care of whatever trouble they refer to and/or get rid of
     them?
     And is there some way to get such messages displayed on a screen
     so you don't have to watch them flash by fifteen or fifty times
     on the command line hoping to intuit their meaning?

                     John Kessel

John H. Kessel
Ohio State University
kessel.1@xxxxxxxx