My visit at the NotaBene List - evangelizing vDos-lfn

Hello,

In order have access to the list archives, I recently subscribed to the
NotaBene List (http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=notabene).

I brought up the fact that I am still using NB3 which occasioned some
amazement. I had trouble posting messages to the list, and with the help
of a list member I finally got through, and he kindly forwarded the
message not only to the list, but also to NB's staff members Anne Putnam
 and Steve Siebert .

The message was as follows:
[quote]
Hello Mervyn,

Thank you for your applause! I will gladly tell you why I still use NB3.
I am a lexicographer and use NB3 to make dictionary databases as text
files. NB3 gives me a very simple format which can be easily converted
to desktop publishing formats like Ventura or XML which I use nowadays
to make online databases. It is basically the same as XyWrite 3+, and I
could use that program as well, but I like the custom menus I have built
for my copy of NB3 better than the alternatives. I tried NB4 but it was
not customizable to the point I needed, therefore I left the NB update
bandwagon for good. I have tested the current editions of NB but they
are way too cluttered for my taste, and the file format is not any more
suited for my purposes, i.e. easy conversion using my own custom-built
converters.

I do have the Big Black binder manual and I have spent a lot of time
perusing the customization & programming guide. In fact, I have all the
XyWrite 3 and 4 manuals as well, even Signature. But I know and like NB3
best!

As for operating systems, I have used Virtual PC 2007 with DOS and Win
3.1 to run NB3 on Windows XP and Win7. NB3 runs like a charm in the
Windows 3.1 DOS boxes under the VPC 2007 virtual environment. I have to
admit that this solution is a bit difficult to set up and to integrate
with modern versions of Windows. Installing VPC 2007 under Win7 and
later can be a daunting task. It is not for the faint of heart.

Luckily, there is an easier way. It is called vDos-lfn. As a matter of
fact, I have been involved in developing installer programs for the
vDos-lfn virtual runtime environment which runs smoothly DOS NotaBene
and XyWrite programs under modern 64-bit as well as 32-bit Windows. One
reason for joining this group was to share this information with those
users that might still be running DOS NB on old hardware. There is
absolutely no need to do that. Just copy your old setup as is to a new
workstation and run the installer to set up a virtual environment for
it. It has all the bells and whistles you could wish for like clipboard
support, customizable fonts, mouse wheel browsing, printing to PDF
preview, etc. And the solution is free provided you have kept your copy
of DOS NB. (If you have no more a copy, the next best thing could be the
abandonware XyWrite 3 or 4).

Download the vDos-lfn for XyWrite installer from my site:
http://www.lexitec.fi/xywrite/utility.html

Or from US mirror maintained by Carl Distefano:
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx

*** Lexitec Online ***
[unquote]

I think vDos-lfn is ready for a wider audience, and there are pockets of
DOS users who are still unaware of the solution. A bit of evangelizing
might do some good.