From: Harry Binswanger
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 5:47 PM
Subject: Re: OT: some questions for our Apple + Parallels Users

Jordan,

Sorry to be so long in replying. It's entirely self-contained. Takes 1 to 2 min to run. Probably won't fix things, but nothing to lose. the /scannow switch tells it to replace any corrupted files (I think from its .cab files, or whatever way it now stores system file originals).

You just go to the Run command (Winkey-R) type in sfc /scannow and hit enter. No biggie.

Regards,
Harry

Harry,

Regarding that scan you suggested: is it entirely self-contained, or do you need to be connected to the internet for it to function ?  Does it take a fairly long time to run ?  (Say, on a middling Core-2 Duo, 1 GB. hard drive, 4 megs of RAM -- of which XP will only see 3.2)

I would be trying that on my next visit . . .  presuming that it would not tie up the machine for hours.  If that was the case, this may have to wait for some more opportune timing.

   Jordan