Re: Orbis and XyDOS 4.1X

Carter Campbell:

Glad to learn you are feeling better. I forget who told me the
trick of getting the menus off the alt keys. It is simple, but
not at all obvious. In fact it took me 20 minutes of comparing
my customized keyboard file with the original to remember how I
did it.

There are two obvious places to get the menus off the alt keys.
One is in the ALT=56,98 etc. list at the beginning of the file.
Doesn't work. The second is in the unshifted keyboard table, but the 56 and
98 keys are disabled there to begin with.

It turns out that what you do is to go into the ALT keyboard
table and get rid of the 56=GT,SH line, and same for 98 (I
discovered that I left it on 98 so I could call up menus from the
right alt key, but I have never remembered to use it). If you
want to disable both alt keys, and still want access to the menu
bar without dropping any particular menu, you can put GT,SH on
some other key. If you want to drop, say, the file menu
directly, you can use 33=GT,AK,F.

-- Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania