Re: Re Keystrokes: Possible BIOS compatibility

** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  on Sat, 23
Jul 2005 15:20:19 -0400

> I can and will do that (should I ZIP it or XPLencode it, or both?)

Zip.

> but perhaps some additional information might be helpful (and thank you for
> bothering; I said I didn't expect it but I am curious). It ALWAYS
> crashes/locks up at the same point: when it gets to NI: 5 on number pad.

Ah, bingo. The routine excludes one other function, MS, because it made _my_
machine trap. So probably either NI or the function right after it is causing
a similar trap on your machines and also needs to be excluded from the list of
functions tested.

The *next function* (in alpha order -- the order of processing) after NI (which
prevents keystrokes from being passed to DOS) is NK (toggle the NumLock) --
either one of those may plausibly be the culprit, because they both touch the
external OpSys in a heavy-handed way.

So let's change one little piece of the KEYSTROKES code, and perform a test --
you'll have to do it, because I don't have this problem.

In the KEYSTROKES frame, change:
 +)<>"MS">
to:
 ++"|"){238}"|MS|"{less_than}0>
then simply add more functions to the exclusion list:
 ++"|"){238}"|MS|NI|NK|"{less_than}0>
After you make this change, command "LH" (short for LOADHELP), to
write the changes into U2 and reload U2. (I'll render that last "|MS|NI|NK|"
line in XPLCODE, below.) Try that revision on one of the crashing machines.
If it works, then remove the one or the other of NI|NK to determine which one
is really the culprit.

XPLeNCODE v2.0
b-gin [UNTITLED]
-nd