Re: IBM QUIETWRITER II

 Jim,
 I am using an unaltered version of 3quiet.prn which I dl'd from here. It does
in clude a command to set the line length to 13.5. I don't have all the info
handy, but I'll look it up and relay it to you here. As to what widths with PT2
& PT3, I don't think I've tried 2 or 3 yet, I was only working with PT1 so far
(also tried it with NO PT defined, same problem.) It may have been something
wrong with one of the defaults in ALACARTE.DFL. Let me explain:
 During the time we were discussing this problem, we replaced the Quietwriter
with an HP laserjet Series II. I experienced similar problems with the HP, so I
renamed ALACARTE.DFL and let ALACARTE.MNU create a brand new virgin one. After
that the HP worked smooth as silk. I suspect I had a default set in
ALACARTE.DFL which caused something to go awry. I haven't had a chance to
recheck with the quietwriter yet (too busy playing with the laser -- it's real
nice!) but I do intend to get a 'round tuit'! BTW We have a single copy of the
single-user version and 3 nodes for the network version, and I was experiencing
the problems with both versions. Once I updated the ALACARTE.DFL, things went
swell. Which brings up a point: I think it would make sense to have an option
from ALACARTE to restore all the defaults in ALACARTE.DFL. I convinced one of
my clients (a law firm that wanted to use WP) to use XyWrite instead. The only
problem is that they occasionally chnge their colors to an unreadable
combination, and then can't figgure out how to get it back to useable colors
(they have really gone overboard with the customizable screen colors!). If
there were an option in ALACARTE to reset everything to the initial defaults,
it sure would simplify things.

Anyway, enough gripeing for tonight, I'll get out of your hair.

I'll let you know what happens with the QW II.

 Remember,

 Stop and smell the roses along the way!

 ----John