Re: OT--sluggish partitions

--- On Tue, 3/16/10, flash  wrote:

> Maybe it's the dreaded Explorer memory leak. Open the
> Windows task
> manager and kill the Explorer.exe process. This will
> temporarily blank
> your desktop. Don't panic. Restart the explorer.exe using
> the "New Task"
> button in task mgr (see screen shot, connect the dots).
> This is a shot
> in the dark. If that doesn't cure you're sluggish
> partition, I've no
> idea what else to try.
>
> If it takes ages to power down, then you may have a hive
> cleanup
> problem. This is a known bug, solvable with a freeware
> patch from MS.

Thanks, Flash. If it's not some structural partition issue
arising from the migration, my suspicions would turn to
something critical that got corrupted in the process. Are
you suggesting that some registry corruption might fit these
symptoms ? Unfortunately, my last registry backup was too
many months earlier. (I should know better by now.)

Shutdown -- like everything else -- is ultra-slow there,
*unless* the system has been left running idle for at least
an hour, in which case I think it would proceed as expected.
Weird !

The Explorer thing I'd never heard of, but I'll check it out.

 Jordan