Re: Windows 2000 question

Writer892@xxxxxxxx wrote:
This is confounding.
I believe I neglected to mention that I usually run XyWrite in a window.
I had not tried to run it full screen. When I did, it reacted perfectly,
except that the type is a mess and awful hard to read. I couldn't figure out how to change it.

Well, I run Xy in a window on the W2K box all right.

Would someone with 2K right in front of him or her (the office is
closed today, and I really don't have time to go over, open up, boot
up, and check where the font choice is in 2k) tell him how to switch
fonts? anyone have the URL for Sieber's fonts to hand?
Soooo.... I ended up loading a clean copy of editor.exe into a test directory,
and lo and behold, it runs perfectly, even with my old .int, .prn, .spl, etc.
files.
Except....now the cursor is not very visible and when I try to print I get
the ``path not found'' message after I replaced the old .exe file
with the ``clean'' version. The old version printed fine and still does
if I switch it back.
You probably had a path statement in a batchfile in the old directory.
Did you alter settings.dfl to reflect the new directory path?
I think your experiment with a new directory indicates there's something skew-whiff in your original Xy setup. We need to find out what. Again, please tell us HOW you usually load Xy: batfile, desktop shortcut, open a DOS prompt (command.com or cmd.exe?)? If you use a shortcut, how do its properties compare with those Manuel posted yesterday? (I'll get mine, which are for a windowed configuration, and slightly different in other respects, in a day or so.)
Another thought: Could it be that the old directory was highly
fragmented? Me, I hardly ever defrag (have heard too many horror
stories of systems that got totally hosed from defragging; and with 4
partitions in Windows alone, my drives don't get too fragmented), but
that's conventional wisdom.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx