Re: a first time question for everyone

For a Non-Microsoft alternative, I reccommend "eComStation", the new
operating system build on the innards of OS/2 (in the same way Nota
Bene is built on the innards of XyWrite). eCS comes bundled with two
nice "Office Suites" (Star Office and Lotus Smart Suite), internet
access, browsers, an a bunch of shareware applications. I find that
XyWrite and Nota Bene both work just fine under eCS, and I don't have
to use M$ applications at all. Information can be found at
http://www.ecomstation.com

>>> "Young For Life Products, Ltd"  08/23
12:28 PM >>>
Hi,

I've been reading this list for a while now with great pleasure and
appreciation. I used xywrite way back, finally gave it up for windows,
and have cried at night ever since. XPL was a gift from the Gods, as
far as I was concerned.

Well, I want to get back to all of that. I have a very specific
application, and I would really appreciate recommendations. I loathe
microsoft, and want to kill two birds with one stone. I am a physician
specializing in anti-aging medicine and alternative and complementary
cancer therapy, and I do literature searching and review every day,
and prepare abstracts, etc.

I have just purchased a new computer, and would like to set it up
properly from day one. Here is what I need to do:

1. Prepare documents in xywrite or NB.
2. surf the web big-time.
3. download lots of text from the web, organize, and print.
4. maintain very active email.

That's pretty much IT!! I just use a computer to accomplish specific
tasks; I don't give a damn about all the bells and whistles and
windows whatevers.

My request is this:

what operating system other than windows can I use, what web browser,
what email server, and xy or NB for the operating system in question -
that would all work together wonderfully to accomplish the 4 goals
listed above and be able to divorce completely from Microsoft,
Exporer, Outloook and Word? (gag retch)

Thank you very much for you help.

Charles Knouse, D.O.
The Young For Life Clinic