Re: NB thrives in OS/2

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Richard G. Minutillo wrote:

> > See the various .KEY files in your \nbwin\document\samples directory for
> > charts of key-mappings; choose the one that corresponds to the keyboard
> > you loaded. If you're using your own keyboard, you'll have to paste in the
> > mapping for the command stack (ctrl-shift- up or down cursor on the
> > default mappings).
>
> Well, actually, I had already done that. I'm running the plain xywrite
> keyboard you ship,

Umm, not I--I just use the program...

> and the KEY files seemes to confirm my expectation
> that the command stack would be on CTRL-UP/DOWN, which are defined in
> XyWrite.kbd in the CTRL table as
>
> 100=S-
> 102=S+
>
> same as in the original XyWrite version.

You're right; I was looking at the NB-XY.KEY file, and it was the top
line for the NB mappings I saw in the Ctrl+Shift column; the Xy mappings
for Cmd Line Prev and Cmd Line Next are in the Control column. Sorry.

> In the nb.kbd file, on the other hand, in the CTRL-SHIFT table, I find
>
> 100=NI,&X,C,<
> 102=NI,&X,C,>
>
> and I don's find S+ or S- anywhere??
>
> Now, after more testing, I've found that the NB command stack does work,
> but only for certain commands. I had been testing using commands like
> dir, new, and ab, none of which can be recovered in the NB command
> stack, whereas they are saved in the XY command stack.

There was some discussion a few months ago about this problem on the
Notabene list, but I don't recall any terribly satisfactory outcome,
just that some commands get recorded in the stack, while others don't.
I think it was one of the things that slid into the background while
more urgent things got resolved. I realize this *is* more or less urgent
depending on your point of view, and I'd love to see it fixed too. Send
a note to technicalsupport@xxxxxxxx, and maybe it will get moved up
the priority list...

Are you using the latest download (5.004)?

	Dorothy

*****
Dorothy Day			School of Library & Information Science
day@xxxxxxxx					   Indiana University
*****
	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."

 Oct 11, 1999: According to John Roth, chief executive of Nortel
 Networks, an estimated 2.5 billion hours were wasted online last
 year as people waited for pages to download.