Re: OT: Wireless Internet

wireless
cellular
cordless

On Jul 3, at 1:59 PM,  wrote:

-----Original Message----- From: Patricia M. Godfrey

Brian.Henderson wrote:
Wireless DOES have its advantages, especially for the increasingly
laptop/iphone equipped population.

- We also, I think, need to be precise about "wireless." It means two
quite different
- things: 1) using short range radio signals to get on either an
- internal network or, through that, the Internet, using a Wireless
- Access Point or similar tech; and 2) using long-range, cellular
- radio signals to access the Internet and voice communications.
I was using "iphone" as shorthand for all the various mini-computer type doohickeys that can communicate with a Wireless Access Point (although I can't remember if the actual iphone has a duel capability...might not be
good shorthand the way I intended). I think that the examples in "2)"
are so thoroughly assumed to BE wireless that the term "wireless" isn't
really applied much...seems that way to me, anyway.

(I do, though, sometimes have to distinguish between my landline phone
that's plugged into the wall and the other 4 phones that are wireless).

-B

David Auerbach
Department of Philosophy & Religion
Box 8103