Re: XyWrite and Windows 7

I have Win7 installed on an HP laptop. I installed the 32 bit version, largely because NB is currently not compatible with 64 bit Win7.

So, with 32-bit Win7 ---

Xy II
Xy III+
Xy IV

All run as expected in windowed mode. Win7 does not support full-screen DOS mode (or at least it
says it does not).

In each case I found Editor.exe in Windows Explorer, right clicked on it and chose "run as
administrator". I did nothing else, and all three versions booted up without incident.

I chose to run them as administrator because they have trouble with long files names and it seems
sensible (as well as traditional) to keep the programs in a directory close to the root: C:\xy
It may not have been necessary, but since Windows tries to keep users away for system directories
and files, I thought it might show some reluctance to allowing anyone other than the administrator
to run a program not in the official subdirectory for programs.

I have not tested further to see if there are XPL or keyboard oddities.

I don't have a functioning version of XyWin, so I can't try it. The installation program doesn't
work with Win7 or WinXP, and I'm not sure whether I have a functioning system from which I can copy
the necessary files. I think XyWin is pretty self-contained except for two files that go into
Windows\system\.

Myron

P.S. Every time I try XyII (Plus, I think) I am amazed at how slow it is compared to III and IV.
It seemed so wonderfully nimble back in 1984 when I paid $300 for it. ;-)  I never regretted it.
A real manual, too, that I used to read before falling asleep every night. Some of those keystrokes
are still in my fingers/nerves/brain.