Re: Save (backup)

** Reply to message from Michael Norman  on Sun, 14 Dec
2003 19:42:01 -0500

> hard drives, even IBM's reliable disks, discomfit me. We've had two
> go down in the house on a new Dell in the last four months.

But I've never seen a hard drive fail without warning of some sort. Usually
*plenty* of warning (grinding, hesitation, noise). For every hard drive
failure, I've burned hundreds of CDs that can't be read on _all_ CD drives, due
to slight differences in laser alignment, overburning, buffer overruns, bad CD
geometry, faulty CD manufacture, burner errors, zillions of reasons. To each
his own, of course -- but trusting a homemade CD ahead of a brand new hard disk
strikes me as questionable. If the hard disk is going to fail, it usually does
so in the first couple of weeks.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx