Re: SVISTA; was Re: OT: Query on mirroring...

Caballero wrote:

> Jordan, if it's in your sights anyway, please keep us abreast of
> developments of SVISTA, which I hadn't heard of.
>
> Carlo

Glad to. It is being put out by Serenity Systems, which develops & distributes the
OS/2 successor, EcomStation. Early reviews found SVISTA to be slower and generally
not as good as Connectix VPC (these products apparently have no code or design in
common), but SVISTA is at a fairly early stage of development, so this may not be a
fair comparison. Given some more time, who knows ? What is impressive is the
announced roster of Host & Guest options, though several of these are not yet
available. A Win-32 Host will be able to run an eCS or Linux (various flavors)
virtual machine client, or you could be going in exactly the reverse Host ==> Guest
direction. (These will be individual products, 1 --> 1, so you will have to
choose.) As expected with an emulation scenario, there are definitely hardware
horsepower requirements, the low end of which is probably not worth exploring.
More speed cancels out more of the emulation overhead. I think you are also
looking at 20G + in hard-drive space for such a setup.

There is also going to be a major price difference. Connectix VPC ran about $300.
An SVISTA Host | Client package is supposed to run about $100., and you can shave
some of that cost off by enrolling in their Open Beta program. I expect to be
seeing an early demo in another week or so, and may get on board after that,
depending.

Jordan